Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Passive. God-Damn Passive, if you will. That is what I was called by my first "boyfriend". He had a lot of other "charming" phrases to go along with this one, but this one was one of the ones that really stuck. What does "Passive" mean? According to Merriam Webster it is "used to describe 

someone who allows things to happen or who accepts what 

other people do or decide without trying to change anything"

But, in the way that he used it? I have no clue. The three months I was with him were the best I ever had and also the worst I ever had-I just didn't realize the latter until later on. Hindsight is 20/20, and it's a bitch. I thought about breaking up with him every single day. But then, every day I would wake up every day to 4-page long text that he had sent me in the middle of the night, (probably while in a drug-induced haze) declaring his love for me- and I was smitten, yet again. When I met him I was pure, innocent and naive. That didn't even last two weeks. By the time he was through, I was impure, dirty and used. Of course, he didn't see anything wrong with this, because it all benefitted him. And that is where my definition of Passive comes in. Passive to me means that 


DIDN'T FUCKING STAND UP FOR MYSELF.

If I had. If I had just taken a stand, said a single word. My story would be very different.


No comments:

Post a Comment